Monday, October 11, 2010

Don't Just Do Something, Sit There and...

Came up with this post this morning as I was brainstorming ideas for a copywriting client. Most workdays I usually get up, shower, log on to my computer and get right to work. This morning, I decided to do something that most people don't intentionally do (because it takes some effort).

Lately I've noticed that I haven't been as productive as I want to be, even though I was "doing something" at my computer. But I wasn't real focused or intentional about what I wanted to do, and the tasks or goals I wanted to achieve.

What is this task that most people avoid like the plague, that I was engaged in this morning?

Thinking of how I can create more value for my client and her business. Henry Ford said it best:

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why do few engage in it."

Even though I haven't completed as many tasks, I'm more productive today than I would have been going straight to the computer and "doing something" without a plan or purpose. I feel like time isn't getting away from me - and I'm getting more accomplished and providing more value for my client.

If you're not as productive as you'd like to be, focus on doing less and thinking more.

No comments: